DASP Young Musician Festival 2018-19
Photo from DASP Young Musician Festival 2017
How the Festival works
There are four categories:
There are two levels of entry:
Intermediate = for approx. grades 3 – 5
Advanced = for approx. grades 6+
Classes will run during the day, from 10am – 4.30pm, for each of the individual categories (the two levels of performance will play in the same classes). Exact timings will be released once we know how many applicants there are.
The main emphasis of the festival will be on all participants taking part and gaining valuable feedback from our adjudicators
However, in the evening, some students will be invited back as finalists to perform at the evening concert at 7.30pm at The Thomas Hardye School Theatre. At the end of these performances an overall winner for each level of entry will be announced.
The overall winner of the Advanced Level classes will be named ‘DASP Young Musician of the Year’.
- Applicants must be 19 years or younger on 31st August 2019.
- Applicants must live within a 25 mile radius of Dorchester.
- Past winners of the main advanced prize are not eligible to enter the competition again on the same instrument.
- The minimum requirement is grade 3 level or equivalent. Entry level is approximate and relates to the level of pieces that will be performed. Exams do not have to have been taken in order to enter.
- From the daytime classes, finalists are chosen to go forward to the final concert in the evening. Applicants will be notified by phone if they are to play in the concert shortly after the end of their class.
- There will be prizes given to each category winner at each level, an overall Intermediate and Advanced Young Musician prize and several highly commended prizes.
- A maximum of two pieces may be played.
- Each performer’s programme must not exceed 5 minutes in total.
- Applicants must provide a copy of the score for the adjudicators to use during the competition (photocopies are acceptable for this purpose).
- Applicants may provide their own accompanist, or an accompanist may be provided for a small additional fee of £3.If using the provided accompanist, a copy of the piano music should be forwarded to DASP Music (clearly labelled) by Friday 14th December.
- Backing tracks are acceptable as an alternative accompaniment. Please inform us in advance if a backing track is to be used.
- The entry fee is £5.Fees can be paid by BACS (Sort code: 600701, Acc: 39102998) or by cheque (payable to DASP Music).
- Places in the festival are limited and will be awarded on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.